Sunday, July 06, 2008

Time For Change In Columbia

As I watched the News Stories, and read the Press Releases regarding the recent release of hostages in Columbia, I was dumbstruck by the fact that over 3000 people are kidnapped in Columbia every year.

All those people missing each and every year, and it has become a fact of life for those living in that beautiful Country. That is what saddens me the most.

That this Country has been war-torn for 40 years, and there does not seem to be much headway to change this.

I do not live in Columbia, and I have no ties to this Country. However, that does not mean that I will turn a blind eye (now that my eyes have been awaken) to the conflict and the horror that goes on each and every day.

How can the FARC in their cowardice be allowed to continue as they have. I understand that the Government has to worry about the Drug Traffickers, and corruption in addition to the FARC, but something must be done. Something can be done, and it must take the voices of the people to demand that Columbia be set free.

I also find it interesting that the US Government, under the inept George Bush, appears to have kept out of this for the most part. Yet, they claim their right to assist Countries to be free. I could start a rant about the atrocities and death that Bush has caused at his hands, but that is for another post.

How cowardly the FARC are in kidnapping the woman who met with them, and recognised their power in this Country. How quickly the FARC have forgotten their roots? What gain do they hope to realise as they brutalise and kill those who they started out (in the beginning) to protect?


Countries like this and other such similar stories make me even more grateful to live in this great Country of Canada. However, it also empowers me to act, to take a stand and do whatever I can to add to change. To ensure that all those who want to be free are set free.

1 comment:

Jen said...

You're back! Excellent:)